2. Which of these statements is not true about the process of transformation?
Transformation is typically done on callus cells (tissue culture).
There are many methods used to deliver extra DNA into the nucleus of plant cells.
Transformation can only be done to callus cells (tissue cultures) of a plant.
Selectable marker genes are used in the transformation process.
3. Which of these is a transformation technique?
all of the above
4. What are selectable marker genes?
Selectable marker genes are genes that encode new traits making transgenic cells easy to select out from non-transgenic cells.
Selectable marker genes are genes that encode undetectable traits making transgenic cells hard to select out from non-transgenic cells.
Selectable marker genes are genes that encode easily detectable traits making transgenic cells easy to select out from non-transgenic cells.
none of the above
5. An _________ is the insertion of a particular transgene into a specific location on a chromosome.
6. The two most commonly used selectable marker genes encode the traits of:
herbicide and cold-toletrance
antibiotic and agrobacterium resistance
herbicide and antibiotic resistance
none of the above
7. The term "event" is often used to describe what?
A particular genetically engineered crop variety.
A particular crop variety.
The level of protein expression in a genetically engineered crop?
All crop varieties.
8. What is not true about the discovery of an event?
Events are often discarded because the transgene inserted into an existing gene causes an existing gene to be disrupted and not express.
Very few events will have all the characteristics necessary to become a marketable.
Desireable events are common.
Desirable events are rare.
9. Once callus cells (tissue cultures) with a desired event are identified, what is the next step in the transformation process?
The callus cells with a successful event are grown to mature plants.
The callus cells with a successful event are set aside to be put into a gene library.
The callus cells go through another round of transformation.
They are discarded.